Jumat, 25 Juni 2010

Craft Room Desk Design

Now that the craft room flooring installation is nearly complete, I'm taking a cue from Knock-Off Wood and using the Google Sketch software to design my dream craft desk (see my inspiration and layout plan here and here).  You know, for the "someday" dream moment when I can start making this room functional... whenever that is.

I shouldn't say that I'm really "designing" the furniture piece with this software.  That would imply that I have read the directions and know how to use it.  I'm mostly just playing around with the buttons that I understand, and seeing what happens.



My concept behind the design is to try to maximize storage space around the tabletop.  By using the legs as storage, I can have a clean surface to work on and avoid compromising work space with storage resting on the top.  The left side of the L-shape will have to be shorter to accommodate the window in the room, and the rear corner storage unit will allow me to have leg room.  Being as clumsy as I am, keeping the corner unit at an angle will leave me with fewer bruises on my shins.

I really think it's possible for us to build it.  Heck, if we can put in our own floors, we can build a measly old desk, right?

I still have to figure out a way to make the desk in pieces.  Since we won't be in this house forever, this desk will need to move with us.  Any suggestions?  I'm thinking that dividing it between 3 shelving units with a tabletop piece might make it the most moveable, and i really like the idea of having one solid surface to use on the top.  Let me know what you think!